MOUNT   PULASKI   COURTHOUSE

Illinois Historical Site  



 Tuesday - Saturday   

12:00 - 4:00 pm

or

by reservation
 

 

 

     The Mount Pulaski Courthouse (shown here along with pictures of two rooms containing Windsor chairs) is a Illinois State Historic Site on the village square in Mount Pulaski, Illinois.  Abraham Lincoln practiced law in this courthouse as a member of the Illinois 8th Judicial Circuit during the years: 1849 - 1854.  The courthouse was built in 1847 and served as the county seat of Logan County from 1848 to 1854.  Mr. Lincoln was an United States Representative [1847-1848].
     At the time Mr. Lincoln first came to the Mount Pulaski courthouse, he was a senior partner to associate William Herndon in their Springfield law firm.  Among other cases, young Lincoln handled two patent cases in the Mount Pulaski courthouse:  The 1853 "Horological Cradle" case and the 1854 "Cast Iron Tombstone" case..  In 1853, the city of Lincoln, Illinois, was founded.  It was just 10 miles to the NW and more centralized in Logan County.  In addition, the new railroad from Chicago to Springfield and onto St. Louis was finished.  In 1855, the county seat was moved to the new courthouse in Lincoln.
     In 1857, a fire destroyed the Lincoln courthouse.  Unfortunately, the court records of most of Lincoln's cases were destroyed.  Court records of several Mount Pulaski courthouse cases that had gone on to the state Supreme Court on appeal were not destroyed.  Therefore, there is not a complete record of Lincoln's legal work at the Mount Pulaski courthouse. 

Mount Pulaski Courthouse
(217) 792 3919

 

Renee Martin
       Director
         
(217) 792 5430
 

 

 

 

 

INSIDE Pictures of Mount Pulaski Courthouse

Courthouse - 1st Floor                 
Courthouse - 2nd Floor


 

The Lincoln Log: A Daily Chronology of the Life of Abraham Lincoln incorporates
  Lincoln Day-by-Day: A Chronology, compiled by the Lincoln Sesquicentennial Commission with 
the cooperation and support of the Abraham Lincoln Association and published by the Government 
Printing Office in 1960. The text presented here includes all entries from that publication, with 
corrections and additions by the Papers of Abraham Lincoln, a project of the 
Illinois Historic Preservation Agency

and the
Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum